Electrical Engineer | Houston, Austin and Dallas Offices
Shah Smith & Associates, Inc. (SSA) is seeking an Electrical Engineer. The position will be responsible for the analysis and design of the lighting, power distribution and fire alarm systems for industrial and institutional clients. The successful candidate needs to be technically strong and motivated with excellent communication skills.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Planning, design and specification of lighting, power distribution and fire alarm systems
- Perform short circuit, load flow and Arc Flash calculations using standard Electrical Engineering Analysis software
- Perform electrical load calculations and circuiting of equipment
- Perform photometric calculations for lighting systems and design associated lighting control systems
- Coordination with other in-house disciplines
- Collaborate with other electrical staff during the design and documentation of the electrical systems
- Coordinate the completion of deliverables within the appropriate time to have a QA/QC review completed prior to project deadline
- Review design budget hours and coordinate any recommended adjustments with the Project Manager
- Attend coordination meetings and communicate with other trades such as contractors, equipment manufacturers, sales representatives and architects
- Support Construction Administration with the review of submittals, RFIs, change orders etc.
- Create project reports, site observation reports, meeting schedules, minutes etc. as required
- BSEE - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering* from an ABET accredited institution.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.E) in the State of Texas
- Experience with drafting software such as Revit and AutoCAD
- 5+ years of design experience in the MEP industry
- Previous work at a consulting engineering firm is required
- Preferred Experience includes:
- Design of power and lighting systems for large ($15 Million+) institutional type projects.
- Master Planning and healthcare project experience
- Medium voltage (5kV and above) distribution and design
- Short circuit, protective device coordination and arc flash studies using software similar to SKM, ETAP etc.
Established in 1994, SSA is a 100+ person, Texas-based consulting engineering firm, with offices in Houston, Austin and Dallas. We specialize in design and construction management of mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP) systems for healthcare, research, science & technology, higher education, corporate, government, public works, and aviation facilities. Clients appreciate our focus on performance standards and cost objectives. Architects value our willingness to look beyond the expected in designing systems to meet aesthetic and sustainability requirements. Our business is about striking a balance, increasing reliability, reducing life-cycle costs, maximizing energy efficiency, minimizing environmental impact, complex integration of systems, simplified maintenance protocols, and anticipating future technological needs.
SSA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This includes medical, dental and life insurance, 9 paid holidays, 3 weeks of PTO, parental leave, 401K Savings plan and much more. For a full look at our benefits, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request our careers brochure.
Resumes may be submitted by email to email@example.com. Please reference the position title and office location in the subject line.